Bins, rubbish and littering

Fly-tipping, littering, bins and refuse is all dealt with by your local authority.

If your bin has been missed in your collection round or you need a new bin, if you are concerned about litter, dog-fouling, weeds or graffiti, please visit Report something - Fly-tipping, littering and bins to make a report to your local council.

Your local authority is also the lead agency for fly-tipping. Fly-tipping can range from a single plastic sack of rubbish to multiple loads of construction waste, including domestic appliances and furniture. See the DEFRA Code of Practice on Litter and Refuse for more information.

The act of fly-tipping is a crime, but if you give your waste to someone else to dispose of it for you, you have a duty of care to ensure that they are duly authorised to transport and dispose of it. If you do not take reasonable steps to do this and your rubbish is subsequently fly-tipped, you may also be committing a crime. Visit the Environment Agency website or telephone 03708 506 506 to see if someone is licensed.

Visit Report something to report of fly-tipping to your local authority, giving as much information as you can. They can also advise you on how to lawfully dispose of your household waste. If however, you are witnessing fly-tipping taking place now, please contact the police using 999 as this is a crime in action.